On Wednesday, July 29th, the Governor’s Office and the IHSA announced new details of how the Covid-19 mitigation efforts will impact the fall sports season. While the announcement from the Governor’s Office impacts athletics in a general way, the IHSA announcement significantly impacts the athletic programs at Montini. Here are the changes announced today:
- With some restrictions, Boys and Girls Golf, Girls Tennis, and Boys and Girls Cross Country season will proceed in the fall as scheduled.
- The traditional fall sports seasons for Football, Girls Volleyball, and Boys Soccer have been moved to a new spring season scheduled to take place from February 15 - May 1.
- The winter season for Boys and Girls Basketball, Wrestling, Cheerleading, and Dance are scheduled for November 16 - February 13.
- To accommodate the new spring season, those sports traditionally scheduled for the spring have been moved to a new summer season extending from May 3 - June 26. Those sports include Baseball, Softball, Boys and Girls Track, Girls Soccer, Boys Volleyball, Boys and Girls Lacrosse, and Boys tennis.
- It appears the IHSA is allowing teams 20 new contact days for conditioning and training from September 7 - October 31, though we’re seeking clarification on this.
The details shared with us by the IHSA can be found here. While these changes surely have a significant impact on our student-athletes, I feel tentatively reassured that they will still have the opportunity to engage with their teammates and compete this year. As more details emerge and we have a better sense of how we’ll conduct athletics, we’ll be in touch with you. In the meantime, should you have questions about this latest announcement, please feel free to reach out to me.