The Montini Catholic Social Worker will collaborate with teachers, support staff, administration and parents to support social and emotional learning in the academic setting. Montini Catholic provides additional support for our students through our social worker and group meetings. Students are encouraged to set up an appointment with their counselor or the school social worker through email if they have any questions.
Roles of the Social Worker
- Help students achieve maximum benefit from their educational opportunities
- Help students understand themselves and others
- Cope with stressful situations
- Develop responsible decision making skills
- Advocate for the student, giving them a voice in their education
- Empower students to recognize their own strengths
- Provide resources on students' social-emotional needs
- Proactively implement a social emotional learning curriculum to help students navigate their environment
Counseling and Support Groups Offered at Montini
A variety of support services are offered to meet the needs of our students. Each group meets on a weekly basis and is facilitated by the social worker. Groups are formed based on parent/student requests or staff recommendations. Please speak with your counselor or the school social worker if you are interested in being a member of one of these groups.
- Transfer Student Group: This group is intended for both freshman and non-freshman transfer students to help them in meeting peers who may face similar challenges in moving to a new community and starting at a new school. Ongoing with check-ins at various points in the school year.
- Athletes Minds Matter: Small group focused on the connection between physical and mental health. Six weeks in length.
- Learning Skills to Help Manage Emotions and Social Situations: Designed to increase skills related to Mindfulness, Interpersonal Skills, Distress Tolerance, and Emotional Regulation. Ideal for students who are struggling with anxiety, depression, conflict resolution, and/or self-regulation. Students can join at any point during the school year.
- Grief: Grief Group offers a support system for students dealing with the loss of a loved one. Students can share their story openly and hear the stories of others who have experienced a similar loss and are facing the similar challenges of the grief journey. Offered second semester and runs 6-8 weeks.
- Social Skills: Designed to provide students opportunities to develop and practice important tenets of appropriate social skills, including conversational skills, building relationships, conflict resolution, etc. Students can join at any point during the school year.
- Executive Functioning Skills: This group targets freshman or sophomore students who need assistance with executive functioning skills such as organization, time management, focus, study skills, self-awareness, and self-management. Offered once per semester for 6-8 weeks.
*Though efforts will be made to not take students from a class where making up work would prove too difficult, they are responsible to make up any work they miss from class as a member of a counseling/support group.
- Request Social Work Session
- Off Campus Resources
- Virtual Calm Room
- Self Help Tips
- Free resources to support mental/well-being health